FROM THE OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
AUTUMN GRADUATION 2022
Dear Graduands, Staff and Students,
With the relaxation of COVID-19 regulations, it has become possible to return to hosting in-person graduation this year. While plans are underway to host the 2022 Autumn Graduation ceremonies from Wednesday 4 May 2022 and ending Saturday 21 May 2022, these dates are still dependent on current regulations remaining unchanged.
All information related to the 2022 Autumn Graduation will be published on the UKZN website going forward. Our 2022 graduands, their families and staff will be able to find all the information required on the website.
A further formal Communique will be issued with the graduation splits (including dates, times and venue) as these are confirmed, noting that the final date for capturing Graduation decisions was only 31 March 2022.
The University remains committed to facilitating a celebration for all our 2020 and 2021 graduates who sadly could not graduate in person. Plans are currently underway to host a celebration during the latter half of 2022, and further details will be posted in all our online platforms in due course. Planning such a celebration for our 21 345 graduands is not only exciting, but I’m sure everyone will appreciate the amount of planning that needs to go into making this a memorable occasion.
We thank everyone for their understanding during these challenging times universities worldwide are facing.
Dr K Cleland
The Ceremonies, all on November 24, will be broadcast at the following times:
College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science
College of Health Sciences
College of Humanities
College of Law and Management Studies
Graduation is one of the most important occasions in the University’s academic calendar where students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, receive their hard-earned degrees and diplomas. Indeed, graduation marks the culmination of many years of personal sacrifice and hard work that have laid the foundation for successful and inspiring careers.
At graduation, Honorary Degrees are also conferred to distinguished individuals who have made significant contributions to society, both in South Africa and at a global level. In addition, University Fellowships are conferred on outstanding academics for research excellence as well as The Distinguished Teachers’ Awards are presented to academics for teaching excellence.
*EACH GRADUAND WILL BE GIVEN A MAXIMUM OF 2 GUEST TICKETS*
*NO LATE COMERS WILL BE ADMITTED INTO THE HALL*
The University of KwaZulu-Natal would like to emphasise that COVID-19 still remains a deadly threat. We appeal to all our staff, graduands and guests to take the necessary precautions and observe all the COVID-19 protocols during all graduation ceremonies.
As the fight against COVID-19 continues, there is simply no room for complacency.
We encourage staff, graduands and guests to adhere to all health and safety protocols, which include:
- Wearing a mask when indoors,
- Maintaining social/physical distancing,
- Washing or sanitising hands regularly,
The University is doing all it can to ensure the health and safety of those who visit our campuses.
We implore all to cooperate with our officials to ensure compliance with all protocols.
The safety and protection of our communities remain paramount amid the ongoing and escalating threat of the coronavirus.
For information on prevention measures, please visit: https://vc.ukzn.ac.za/covid-19/
Thank you for your cooperation in complying with health and safety protocols.
Stay safe and take care.
Students are encouraged to visit Student Central for purposes of checking and verifying the correctness of their biographical and registration information. Degree/diploma certificates and graduation programmes are printed and posted, if necessary, using the information captured and stored in our database.
Please ensure that your NAMES are correct and same as on your Identity Documents/Passport.
Ensure that your record shows the correct QUALIFICATION.
If either of these are incorrect or need to be amended, please contact your College URGENTLY and before 19 April 2022, for these to be updated.
College Contact Details: COLLEGE CONTACT NUMBERS
The official academic dress must be worn for the ceremony, namely gown, hood and mortar board for the degree that will be conferred.
Please note that the academic attire should be worn over formal clothing
The academic attire can ONLY be purchased or hired from the official suppliers, HOUSE OF GRADUATES who will provide the correct attire for your qualification.
Graduation attire may be ordered in advance.
ORDER FORM FOR GRADUATION ATTIRE, CEREMONIES AT WESTVILLE CAMPUS
PAYMENT AND COLLECTION PROCESS:
(TO BE UPLOADED WHEN RECEIVED)
House of Graduates contact information:
- Staff from the College will assist you in going onto the stage at the right time and will ensure that you leave your mortar board on your seat. Your hood should be draped by the neckband on the left arm, and your seat card held in readiness;
- STOPPING POINT 1: for handing to the Dean and Head of School (or staff member announcing each Graduate) to announce your name. The Dean/person calling the names will hand the seat card back to you. The seat card will also be used as acknowledgment of receipt for your degree certificate.
- STOPPING POINT 2: Graduands proceed towards the Chancellor and kneel with your right knee upon the stool. The Chancellor will then confer the degree on you. A photograph will be taken on stage at the time of the capping, so please look up at the Photographer who will be positioned at the back of the stage,
- STOPPING POINT 3: Proceed to the Robing Officer and hand the hood to him/her. TURN and face the congregation, so that your hood can be draped over your shoulders. A photograph will again be taken, so please look ahead at the Photographer in the middle of the hall floor.
- Leave the stage. STOPPING POINT 4: go to the side of the hall and collect your graduation documentation before returning to your seat. The College staff will ask for your seat card when issuing certificates.
- Return to your original seat, and don your mortar board.
- Diplomates follow the same procedure, except that they do not kneel on the stool, since they are not capped, but proceed to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Head of College who will congratulate them by
- Make sure that you settle all your outstanding accounts with the University long before the date of your Graduation otherwise your diploma/degree certificate will not be issued to you at the Graduation Ceremony. You will then have to make arrangements to collect your certificate from our Central Student Records Office after your graduation ceremony via the booking system.
- ONLY AFTER YOU have graduated then you can proceed to book via the booking system for the collection/posting of your degree/ diploma certificate. The link is: https://gradcertbooking.ukzn.ac.za. Your Username is: student number and your Password: ID or passport number.
- The Central Student Records Office will not release any certificate if a confirmation of booking (email/letter) is not produced when collecting the certificate. It remains the responsibility of the student/ graduate to ensure that graduation holds are removed by either Library or Fees office.
- The students/graduates are advised to make sure that they capture the correct email addresses and they check their emails after successful booking for collection or posting of their certificates.
While we are really pleased to be able to host in-person graduation ceremonies again, the pandemic is not over, and we are therefore obliged to comply with the current remaining regulations related to gatherings. These include the maximum number of people allowed in an indoor venue at one time, physical distancing requirements and other health and safety precautions like sanitising and ensuring the free flow of, preferably, fresh air.
For these reasons tickets will be distributed, on the day of their graduation, as follows:
- All graduands (except Doctoral graduands) will receive 2 ‘unreserved seating’ guest tickets.
- All Doctoral graduands will receive 2 ‘reserved seating’ guest tickets
Children under the age of twelve years will not be admitted.
Your seat card and guest tickets for all graduands will be available for collection at the venue, from two hours prior to the commencement of graduation ceremony.
IMPORTANT NOTES – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- No extra tickets are available (EACH GRADUAND WILL BE GIVEN A MAXIMUM OF 2 GUEST TICKETS)
- Graduands and guests should be seated 20 minutes prior to the commencement of graduation ceremony
- No late comers will be admitted
- Children under the age of twelve years will not be admitted
- Our graduation venues are gun-free zones. No guns and other weapons are allowed
- No unauthorized photographs to be taken during the ceremony
- Smoking is not permitted in the hall
- Cellphones to be switched off during the Graduation ceremonies
- No food or drink may be brought into the hall
In Durban parking for graduands and guests will be available at the soccer grounds, which is in close proximity of the Sports Centre, Westville Campus where the graduation ceremonies will take place. No parking will be available at the Sports Centre.
Should you have disabled guests kindly arrange with the security officers on duty at the Sports Centre to allow you to drive into the drop-off area to drop off such guests. You must then drive out of this area immediately to make way for other motorists and park in areas allocated for this purpose.
- The Chancellor will constitute the congregation.
- Welcome Address.
- Presentation of graduands and diplomates.
- The Chancellor will dissolve the congregation.
- The procession leaves the stage, followed by the graduates and diplomates.
- Guests leave the venue.
Graduation is a formal occasion at which many courtesies and traditions are observed and it has its own terminology. Graduands are those who are about to have a degree conferred on them, after which they are called graduates. Diplomates are those who are about to be, or have been, awarded a diploma.
Courtesy includes graduands, diplomates and their guests all being seated before the procession enters the venue and remaining in the venue throughout. Graduands, diplomates and guests (congregation) should rise when the procession enters the venue. No-one should resume their seat until the Chancellor signals to do so. When the ceremony is at an end, the congregation should rise again and remain standing until the procession has left the venue. The graduates and diplomates will join the procession two rows at a time, starting from the front two rows (the most senior degrees) until the most junior diplomates form the end of the procession. As a mark of respect, guests should not leave the venue until the last graduate has departed.
PLEASE NOTE: Graduands, Diplomates and guests are not permitted to leave the Hall until all the formal proceedings for the graduation ceremony have been concluded and the academic procession has left the hall.
The official Photographers appointed by the University for the Autumn 2022 Graduation is: Mazidlekhaya Photo Studio.
Mazidlekhaya Photo Studio will be located at the Sports Centre (Graduation Hall) on the Westville Campus. The Official Photographer will:
- take graduation photographs of each graduate during the ceremony;
-they will also be located in a marquee outside of the hall on the Westville Campus. Studios will be set up where photographs can be taken before or after the ceremony.
Pre-orders of photographs (stage and family photographs) can be made via their respective website: https://mazidlekhayastudios.co.za/
However you are under no obligation to order these photographs.
The contract you enter into is between you and the photographic studio. The University has no part in the contract.
No unauthorised photographs to be taken during the ceremony.
Graduation 2022 DVD’s will be available free for download on the website at: https://gradvideos.ukzn.ac.za (from Tuesday 10 May 2022).
2022 DVD's will not be collected from Corporate Relations Division, unless you are purchasing a hard copy.
Graduation Stats 2022
Electronic Payments for Outstanding Fees
Electronic payments for outstanding fees can be made to the following bank account:
Bank: Standard Bank
Account No.: 053 081 072
Branch: 04 54 26
Reference No: Student Number (Mandatory)
Contact the Student Fees Office on your campus on the email addresses below if you have any queries regarding the above, or want to send proof of payment or advice that you have met all your financial obligations to the University:
Bursary and Loan Queries
Bursary and loan queries should be directed to the Student Funding Office.
To pay library fines for outstanding books, electronic payments can be made to the following account:
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch Code: 04 54 26
Account Number: 053 080 998
The following reference numbers should be used for payment and must reflect on the receipt/proof of payment:
Library fines: 2064 – 11857
ILL fines: 5251 – 30352
Lost books and admin fees: 2076 – 30354
Proof of payment to be emailed to the relevant contact person below:
Howard Library: Mr Omesh Jagarnath – firstname.lastname@example.org
Westville Library: Mr Sipho Khumalo – email@example.com
Edgewood Library: Mrs Sushiela Naidoo – firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Library: Ms Praba Naidoo – email@example.com
PMB Library: Mrs Celeste John – firstname.lastname@example.org
LISTS OF STUDENTS GRADUATING IN AUTUMN 2022
College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science
Law and Management Studies
HOUSE OF GRADUATES, our official Academic Attire Supplier, is offering the following packages
Package 1: Hire package of Graduation Attire
Package 2: Purchase of Graduation Attire
Once you have completed your degree you become an “Alumnus” of the University. UKZN offers benefits and services to alumni, including access to campus facilities, finding a friend and alumni career portal. Visit our alumni website.