and Mr Richard Morrison, front: Ms Constance
Dube, Ms Roshilla Singh, Mrs Nain Ramdas and
Mr Michael Davids.
Ten staff members from UKZN’s Student Funding Unit received awards in recognition of long service to the financial aid community during a conference in Durban.
Combined, the staffers boast a staggering 186 years of servicing financially needy students at the University!
The awards were made during the Financial Aid Practitioners of South Africa Conference held annually to discuss best practices in student financial aid administration as well as trends and challenges in financial aid in South Africa.
The theme of this year’s event was: “The Rise of the New Era”.
The Conference was addressed by the Chairperson of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) Board, Mr Zamayedwa Sogayise, who said 2014 would see a total change in the funding operations platform of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme in South Africa.
Instead of “blocks” of funding being allocated to higher learning institutions for them to decide on the recipients, NSFAS would choose the recipients from direct applications.
NSFAS said their transformation goals were:
– To be an efficient and effective public entity in student financial aid administration;
– To promote access and success in higher and further education and training at public universities and FET colleges;
– To create an improved student-centred financial aid environment.
UKZN staff members who received awards were:
– The Head of Student Funding at UKZN Mr Richard Morrison, who got a Gold award for more than 25 years of service in the industry;
– Loan Manager Mr Michael Davids, and Financial Aid Advisor for the College of Humanities and Education at the Edgewood campus, Ms Cornelia Khathali, who received Silver Awards for more than 20 years of service;
Bronze awards for more than 15 years in service went to:
– Ms Constance Dube, Senior Financial Aid Advisor, College of Humanities
– Mrs Nain Ramdas, Financial Aid Advisor, College of Law and Management Studies
– Mrs Roshilla Singh, Financial Aid Advisor, College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science (who retires this year)
– Mr Gerald Naicker, Financial Aid Advisor, College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science
– Mrs Sally Day, Loans Co-ordinator (Claims & Training), Student Funding
– Mr Karan Naidoo, Manager Scholarships and
– Ms Busi Dlamini, Financial Aid Advisor, College of Humanities and Education on the Pietermaritzburg campus.