In commemoration of Human Rights Month, the Corporate Relations Division invites you to attend an awareness seminar on TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS (TIP) & VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN SOUTH AFRICA.
In 2018, when one may consider the idea of Human Trafficking a terrible myth, the reality of this practice is not only real, but happening in our midst. Children, women and men are simply taken, sold, transported and abused by the use of force through coercion, abduction, fraud and deception. It is a global phenomenon of epic scale and considered to be the largest source of profits for organised crime, after drugs and guns. According to the United Nations, an estimated 21 million people are victims of forced labour globally. These include victims of human trafficking for labour and sexual exploitation. The UN further states that every country in the world is affected by human trafficking, whether as a country of origin, transit, or destination for victims. According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Global Report on Trafficking in Persons, children comprise almost a third of all human trafficking victims worldwide, with women and girls comprising 71 percent of human trafficking victims. Humans are targeted commodities by syndicates as they can be used and reused several times – this is nothing but a breach of human rights! Come listen and be empowered through knowledge sharing from our expert panel.
· Understand the dynamics of Human Trafficking in the 21st Century and how to use anti-trafficking laws to ameliorate or eradicate trafficking in persons in South Africa and beyond.
· Understand the need for effective prosecution of TIP activities and the need for adopting a holistic approach in addressing Human Trafficking.
· Consider TIP trends and preventative measures in communities.
· Discuss the nexus between human trafficking and violence against women.
· Participate in an interactive training on how to identify trafficking victims and be able to use the tools.
Venue: Colin Webb Hall, Pietermaritzburg Campus
Date: 27 March 2018
Time: 12h30 – 14h30
RSVP HERE (best viewed on Firefox or Chrome).
See attached for details. All are welcome.
Issued by Corporate Relations