Professor Gueguim Kana
Microbial Factories and Artificial Intelligence – Fixing Global Bugs with Tiny Bugs
Microbial factories generate an array of biopharmaceuticals, biofuels and biochemicals with the potential to revolutionize bioeconomy of the World and address key global challenges highlighted in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. However, the complex multivariate space and the nonlinear nature of these systems challenge the development of viable bioprocesses. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning provide opportunities to generate models for rapid development of economically viable bioproduction systems. This lecture articulates more than a decade journey of harnessing the power of Artificial Intelligence to develop bioprocesses for biofuels such as biohydrogen, biomethane, bioethanol and others novel bioproducts using microbial factories powered on industrial and agricultural wastes. A comparison of machine learning capabilities with existing algorithms for effective bioprocess development is examined. Knowledge extraction from existing data using Machine Learning models for microbial processing is highlighted. Lowcost technologies for bioprocess research and development are detailed. The prospect of mitigating key global challenges through Artificial Intelligence in microbial factories is unraveled.
Professor Gueguim Kana research focuses on microbial process technology with interest in biorefinery of agricultural and industrial wastes for biofuels and bioproducts; application of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in bioprocess development; bioreactor design and nanobiotechnology. He has attracted and trained various national and international postgraduate students in the field of bioprocess technology. Professor Gueguim Kana has produced approximately 90 publications in national and international peer-review journals and book contributions. His current Google Scholar h-factor is 26 and he has been cited more than 1500 times.
He has received the award of a top published researcher of the University of kwaZulu-Natal.
Professor Gueguim Kana is also the recipient of the Distinguished Teacher Award of the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Bachelor Honours, Pure and Applied Biology (1998) Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
Master of Technology , Biotechnology (2000) Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
PhD Microbiology (2005) Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
Academic Leader: Research & Higher Degrees, SLS, University of KwaZulu-Natal (2019- till date)
Professor, University of KwaZulu-Natal (2019-till date)
Adjunct Professor **Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China (2015-till date)
Associate Professor University of KwaZulu-Natal (2017-2018)
Senior lecturer University of KwaZulu-Natal (2010- 2016)
Senior Lecturer Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (2007- 2010)
Lecturer I Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (2005- 2007)
Lecturer II Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (2002-2005)
Assistant Lecturer Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (1999- 2001)
Award of Top 30 Publishing Researchers ( 2017), University of KwaZulu-Natal , South Africa
- Distinguished Teacher Award ( 2017), University of KwaZulu-Natal , South Africa
- C-Rated Scientist, National Research Foundation (NRF), 2017, South Africa.
- Invited scientist at the International Centre of Theoretical Physics (ICTP) (2001-2012), Trieste, Italy.
- National award of outstanding contribution in Biotechnology, National University Commission (NUC) 2004, Abuja, Nigeria
Published Peer–reviewed Journal Articles and Book contributions (90).
- NA Chohan, GS Aruwajoye, Y Sewsynker-Sukai, EB Gueguim Kana (2020) Valorisation of potato peel wastes for bioethanol production using simultaneous saccharification and fermentation: Process optimization and kinetic assessment. Renewable Energy 146, 1031-1040. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960148119310626
- Adegoke E Adebayo, Abel M Oke, Agbaje Lateef, Abayomi A Oyatokun, Opeyemi D Abisoye, Itunu P Adiji, Deborah O Fagbenro, Taiwo V Amusan, JA Badmus, TB Asafa, LS Beukes, EB Gueguim-Kana, SH Abbas (2019) Biosynthesis of silver, gold and silver–gold alloy nanoparticles using Persea americana fruit peel aqueous extract for their biomedical properties. Nanotechnology for Environmental Engineering 4 (1), 13 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41204-019-0060-8
- NS Nouadjep, E Nso, EBG Kana, C Kapseu (2019)Simplex lattice mixture design application for biodiesel production: Formulation and characterization of hybrid oil as feedstock Fuel 252, 135-142 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016236119306532
- Isaac A Sanusi, Funmilayo D Faloye, EB Gueguim Kana (2019) Impact of Various Metallic Oxide Nanoparticles on Ethanol Production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae BY4743: Screening, Kinetic Study and Validation on Potato Waste.Catalysis Letters 149 (7), 2015-2031 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10562-019-02796-6
- P Moodley, EBG Kana(2019) Bioethanol production from sugarcane leaf waste: Effect of various optimized pretreatments and fermentation conditions on process kinetics. Biotechnology Reports 22, e00329. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215017X18302376
- Joseph A. Elegbede Agbaje Lateef Musibau A. Azeez Tesleem B. Asafa Taofeek A. Yekeen Iyabo C. Oladipo Abbas S. Hakeem Lorika S. Beukes Evariste B. Gueguim‐Kana (2019)Silver‐gold alloy nanoparticles biofabricated by fungal xylanases exhibited potent biomedical and catalytic activities Biotechnology progress
- Preshanthan Moodley, Daneal C.S.Rorke, Evariste Bosco Gueguim Kana (2018)Development of artificial neural network tools for predicting sugar yields from inorganic salt-based pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass. Bioresource Technology https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2018.11.034
- YeshonaSewsynker-Sukai, B.Gueguim Kana (2018)Microwave-assisted alkalic salt pretreatment of corn cob wastes: Process optimization for improved sugar recovery. Industrial Crops and Products Vol 125, 284-292 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0926669018307854
- V. Nsahlai M. Moyo, E.B. Gueguim Kana (2018).Prediction of solid digesta passage rate using liquid passage rate as one of the input variables in ruminants. South African Journal Of Animal Science 48 (4), 758-769 https://www.ajol.info/index.php/sajas/article/view/178345
- Agbaje Lateef, Bolaji I Folarin, Suliat M Oladejo, Paul O Akinola, Lorika S Beukes, Evariste B Gueguim-Kana, (2018) Characterization, antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anticoagulant activities of silver nanoparticles synthesized from Petiveria alliacea leaf extract. Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology 1-7 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10826068.2018.1479864
- Yeshona Sewsynker-Sukai, EB Gueguim Kana(2018)Simultaneous saccharification and bioethanol production from corn cobs: Process optimization and kinetic studies, Bioresource Technology, Vol 262,32-41 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852418305698 My contribution: Conceptualized the idea for research, Postgraduate supervisor of the lead author. Impact factor:5.65
- Joseph Elegbede, Agbaje LATEEF, Musibau Azeez, Taofeek Yekeen, Tesleem Asafa, Iyabo Oladipo, Elijah Adebayo, Lorika Beukes, Evariste Gueguim Kana (2018) Fungal xylanases-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles for catalytic and biomedical application, IET Nanobiotechnology .https://digital-library.theiet.org/content/journals/10.1049/iet-nbt.2017.0299
- Y Sewsynker-Sukai, TN Suinyuy, EBG Kana (2018)Development of a sequential alkalic salt and dilute acid pretreatment for enhanced sugar recovery from corn cobs , Energy Conversion and Management 160, 22-30. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196890418300244. . Impact factor: 5.58
- Joelle Penniston, Evariste Bosco Gueguim Kana (2018) Impact of medium pH regulation on biohydrogen production in dark fermentation process using suspended and immobilized microbial cells, Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment 32 (1)204-212. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13102818.2017.1408430. Preshanthan Moodley and B.Gueguim Kana(2018)Comparative study of three optimized acid-based pretreatments for sugar recovery from sugarcane leaf waste: A sustainable feedstock for biohydrogen production, Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal 21, (1), Pages 107-116 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221509861730695X
- Gabriel S Aruwajoye, Funmilayo D Faloye, Evariste Gueguim Kana (2017),Soaking assisted thermal pretreatment of cassava peels wastes for fermentable sugar production: Process modelling and optimization, Energy Conversion and Management Vol 150, Pages 558-566 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196890417307586. Impact factor: 5.58
- D Rorke, EB Gueguim Kana (2017) Kinetics of bioethanol production from waste sorghum leaves using Saccharomyces cerevisiae BY4743, Fermentation 3(2), 19; doi:10.3390/fermentation3020019 https://www.mdpi.com/2311-5637/3/2/19/htm
- Iyabo C Oladipo, Agbaje Lateef, Musibau A Azeez, Tesleem B Asafa, Taofeek A Ykeen, Akeem Akinmoboro, Abiola S Akinwale, Evariste B Gueguim kana, Lorika S Beukes (2017)Green synthesis and antimicrobial activities of silver nanoparticles using cell free-extracts of Enterococcus species, Not Sci Biol, 9(2):196-203.
- Yeshona Sewsynker-Sukai, EB Gueguim Kana (2017)Optimization of a novel sequential alkalic and metal salt pretreatment for enhanced delignification and enzymatic saccharification of corn cobs, Bioresource Technology, 243, 785-792 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852417310799. Impact factor: 5.65
- Priyanka Jha, EBG Kana, Stefan Schmidt (2017) Can artificial neural network and response surface methodology reliably predict hydrogen production and COD removal in an UASB bioreactor? International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42, 18875-18883 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360319917323340. Impact factor: 3.58
- Preshanthan Moodley, EB Gueguim Kana (2017)Comparison of a two-stage and a combined single stage salt-acid based lignocellulosic pretreatment for enhancing enzymatic saccharification, Industrial Crops and Products, 108, 219-224. 219-224. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S092666901730434X. Impact factor: 3.57
- Preshanthan Moodley, EB Gueguim Kana (2017) Development of a steam or microwave-assisted sequential salt-alkali pretreatment for lignocellulosic waste: Effect on delignification and enzymatic hydrolysis, Energy Conversion and Management, 148, 801-808 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196890417306015. Impact factor: 5.58
- Daneal CS Rorke, Terence N Suinyuy, EB Gueguim Kana (2017) Microwave-assisted chemical pre-treatment of waste sorghum leaves: Process optimization and development of an intelligent model for determination of volatile compound fractions, Bioresource Technology 224, 590-600. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852416314547. Impact factor: 5.65
- Preshanthan Moodley, Gueguim Kana E.B. Optimization of Operational Parameters for Biohydrogen Production from Waste Sugarcane Leaves and Semi-Pilot Scale Process Assessment, BioResources 12, 2015-2030. https://stargate.cnr.ncsu.edu/index.php/BioRes/article/view/BioRes_12_1_2015_Moodley_Kana_Optimization_Operational_Parameters_Biohydrogen/5085.
- Yeshona Sewsynker-Sukai, Evariste Bosco Gueguim Kana (2017) Does the volume matter in bioprocess model development? An insight into modelling and optimization of biohydrogen production, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 5780-5792. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360319917305499.
- Sewsynker-Sukai, F. Faloye, E.B. GUEGUIM Kana (2017) Artificial neural networks: an efficient tool for modelling and optimization of biofuel production (a mini review) 31, 221-235. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13102818.2016.1269616.
- Preshanthan Moodley, Evariste Bosco Gueguim kana (2017) Microwave-assisted inorganic salt pretreatment of sugarcane leaf waste: Effect on physiochemical structure and enzymatic saccharification, Bioresource Technology 235, 35-42. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852417303012. impact factor: 5.65
- Daneal C. S. Rorke , Evariste Bosco Gueguim Kana (2017) Kinetics of Bioethanol Production from Waste Sorghum Leaves Using Saccharomyces cerevisiae BY4743, Fermentation 3(19) 1-10. https://www.mdpi.com/2311-5637/3/2/19.
- Iyabo Christianah Oladipo, Agbaje Lateef, Joseph Adetunji Elegbede, Musibau Adewuyi Azeez, Tesleem Babatunde Asafa, Taofeek Akangbe Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro, Evariste Bosco Gueguim-Kana, Lorika Selomi Beukes, Tolulope Oluyomi Oluyide, Oluwatoyin Rebecca Atanda (2017) Enterococcus species for the one-pot biofabrication of gold nanoparticles:Characterization and nanobiotechnological applications. Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology 173 250–257
- Moyo, E. B. Gueguim Kana, I. V. Nsahlai (2017) Modelling of digesta passage rates in grazing and browsing domestic and wild ruminant herbivores , South African Society for Animal Science , 47, 362-377. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/sajas/article/view/156344
- Musibau A Azeez, Agbaje Lateef, Tesleem B Asafa, Taofeek A Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro, Iyabo C Oladipo, Evariste B Gueguim-Kana, Lorika S Beukes (2017) Biomedical Applications of Cocoa Bean Extract-Mediated Silver Nanoparticles as Antimicrobial, Larvicidal and Anticoagulant Agents, Journal of Cluster Science, 28, pp 149–164 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10876-016-1055-2
- Iyabo Christianah Oladipo, Agbaje Lateef, Joseph Adetunji Elegbede, Musibau Adewuyi Azeez, Tesleem Babatunde Asafa, Taofeek Akangbe Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro, Evariste Bosco Gueguim-Kana, Lorika Selomi Beukes, Tolulope Oluyomi Oluyide, Oluwatoyin Rebecca Atanda(2017)Enterococcus species for the one-pot biofabrication of gold nanoparticles: Characterization and nanobiotechnological applications, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, 173, 250-257. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1011134417302166
- Agbaje Lateef, Musibau A. Azeez, Tesleem B. Asafa, Taofeek A. Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro A, Iyabo C. Oladipo, Luqmon Azeez, Saidat E. Ajibade, Sunday A. Ojo, Evariste B. Gueguim-Kana, Lorika S. Beukes(2016) Biogenic Synthesis Of Silver Nanoparticles Using Pod Extract Of Cola Nitida: Antibacterial, Antioxidant Activities And Application As Additive In Paint Journal of Taibah University for Science 10(4) 551-562 https://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.jtusci.2015.10.010
- Adeyemi Ojutalayo Adeeyo, Agbaje Lateef,Evariste Bosco Gueguim Kana(2016) Optimization of the Production of Extracellular Polysaccharide from the Shiitake Medicinal Mushroom Lentinus edodes (Agaricomycetes) Using Mutation and a Genetic Algorithm–Coupled Artificial Neural Network (GA-ANN) 18(7). International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms https://www.dl.begellhouse.com/journals/708ae68d64b17c52,65a55c177b27d486,2f14818268d019cb.html
- Agbaje Lateef,Musibau A. Azeez, Tesleem B. Asafa. Taofeek A. Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro, Iyabo C. Oladipo, Luqmon Azeez, Sunday A. Ojo, Evariste B. Gueguim-Kana, Lorika S. Beukes (2016)Cocoa pod husk extract-mediated biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles: its antimicrobial, antioxidant and larvicidal activities. Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry Volume 6, Issue 2, 159-169. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40097-016-0191-4
- Sunday A. Ojo, Agbaje Lateef, Musibau A. Azeez, Suliat M. Oladejo, Abiola S. Akinwale, Tesleem B. Asafa,Taofeek A. Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro, Iyabo C. Oladipo, Evariste B. Gueguim Kana, and Lorika S. Beukes(2016) Biomedical and Catalytic Applications of Gold and Silver-Gold Alloy Nanoparticles Biosynthesized Using Cell-Free Extract of Bacillus Safensis LAU 13: Antifungal, Dye Degradation,Anti-Coagulant and Thrombolytic Activities IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NANOBIOSCIENCE, 433-443
- Yeshona Sewsynker, Evariste Bosco Gueguim Kana(2016) Intelligent models to predict hydrogen yield in dark microbial fermentations using existing knowledge. International journal of hydrogen energy (41) 12929 -12940. https://fulltext.study/preview/pdf/1268206.pdf. Impact factor: 3.57
- Daneal Rorke, E.B. Gueguim Kana(2016) Biohydrogen process development on waste sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) leaves: Optimization of saccharification, hydrogen production and preliminary scale up. International journal of hydrogen energy Volume 41, Issue 30 12941-12952. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360319916304499 .
- Lateef. A. Ojo, B. I. Folarin, E. B. Gueguim Kana, L. S. Beukes (2016) Kolanut (Cola nitida) Mediated Synthesis of Silver–Gold Alloy Nanoparticles: Antifungal, Catalytic, Larvicidal and Thrombolytic Applications. Journal of Cluster Science, 27(5), 1561-1577 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10876-016-1019-6. My contribution: co-executed the project.
- Agbaje Lateef, Monsurat A. Akande, Sunday A. Ojo, Bolaji I. Folarin, Evariste B. Gueguim Kana,Lorika S. Beukes (2016) Paper wasp nest-mediated biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles for antimicrobial, catalytic, anticoagulant, and thrombolytic applications. 3 Biotech 6(140),1-10.
- Agbaje Lateef, Monsurat A Akande, Musibau A Azeez, Sunday A Ojo, Bolaji I Folarin, Evariste B Gueguim Kana, Lorika S Beukes( 2016) Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using miracle fruit plant (Synsepalum dulcificum) for antimicrobial, catalytic, anticoagulant, and thrombolytic applications. Nanotechnology Reviews volume 5 issue 6. 507-520. https://doi.org/10.1515/ntrev-2016-0039.
- B.H. Khan, E.B. Gueguim Kana (2016). Design, Implementation and Assessment of a Novel Bioreactor for Fermentative Biohydrogen Process Development. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 10136-10-144. Impact factor: 3.58
- A Lateef, S.A Ojo, M.A Azeez, T.B Asafa, T.A Yekeen, A Akinboro, I.C Oladipo, B Gueguim-Kana, L.S Beukes(2016) Cobweb as novel biomaterial for the green and eco-friendly synthesis of silver nanoparticles, Applied Nanoscience (6), 863-874 https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2015.08.004.
- A Lateef, SA Ojo, AS Akinwale, L Azeez, EB Gueguim Kana, LS Beukes (2015) Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using cell-free extract of Bacillus safensis LAU 13: antimicrobial, free radical scavenging and larvicidal activities Biologia 70 (10), 1295-1306. https://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1515/biolog-2015-0164
- Agbaje Lateef, Musibau A. Azeez, Tesleem B. Asafa, Taofeek A. Yekeen, Akeem Akinboro A, Iyabo C. Oladipo, Luqmon Azeez, Saidat E. Ajibade, Sunday A. Ojo, Evariste B. Gueguim Kana, Lorika S. Beukes(2015). Biogenic Synthesis Of Silver Nanoparticles Using Pod Extract Of Cola Nitida: Antibacterial, Antioxidant Activities And Application As Additive In Paint. Journal of Taibah University for Science.(in press) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1658365515001594.
- A Lateef, MA Azeez, TB Asafa, TA Yekeen, A Akinboro, IC Oladipo, FE Ajetomobi, EB Gueguim Kana, LS Beukes (2015) Cola nitida-Mediated Biogenic Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Seed and Seed Shell Extracts and Evaluation of Antibacterial Activities. BioNanoScience 5(4)196-205. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12668-015-0181-x .
- O Adeoye, A Lateef, E.B Gueguim Kana (2015) Optimization of citric acid production using a mutant strain of Aspergillus niger on cassava peel substrate. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology Volume 4, Issue 4, 568–574 https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2015.08.004. My contribution: co-conceptualized the idea for research, co-executed the project.
- Y Sewsynker, EB Gueguim Kana, A Lateef (2015) Modelling of biohydrogen generation in microbial electrolysis cells (MECs) using a committee of artificial neural networks (ANNs) Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment, Vol. 29, No. 6, 1208- 1215. https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13102818.2015.1062732.
- A Lateef, IA Adelere, EB Gueguim-Kana (2015) The biology and potential biotechnological applications of Bacillus safensis. Biologia 70 (4), 411-419. https://dx.doi.org/10.1515/biolog-2015-0062
- A Lateef, IA Adelere, EB Gueguim Kana (2015) Bacillus safensis LAU 13: a new source of keratinase and its multi-functional biocatalytic applications. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment 29 (1), 54-63. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13102818.2014.986360
- Siphelele Mafuleka, B. Gueguim Kana (2015) Modelling and optimization of xylose and glucose production from napier grass using hybrid pre-treatment techniques Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol 77, 200-208. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2015.03.031
- Preshanthan Moodley, B. Gueguim Kana (2015).Optimization of xylose and glucose production from sugarcane leaves (Saccharum officinarum) using hybrid pretreatment techniques and assessment for hydrogen generation at semi-pilot scale. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol 40, Issue 10, 3859-3867. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.01.087.
- D. Faloye, E.B. Gueguim Kana, Stefan Schmidt (2014) Optimization of biohydrogen inoculum development via a hybrid pH and microwave treatment technique – Semi pilot scale production assessment International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol 39, Issue 11, 5607-5616. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.01.163
- PT Sekoai, EB Gueguim Kana, (2014) Semi-pilot scale production of hydrogen from Organic Fraction of Solid Municipal Waste and electricity generation from process effluents. Biomass and Bioenergy 60, 156-163. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2013.11.008
- Lateef, A., and Gueguim-Kana, E.B. (2014). Quality assessment and hazard analysis in the small-scale production of poultry feeds in Ogbomoso, Southwest, Nigeria. Quality Assurance and Safety of Crops and Foods 6 (1):105-113. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1757-837X.2011.00124.x/full
- Lateef, A., Adelere, I.A., Gueguim-Kana, E.B., Asafa, T.B, and Beukes, L.S. (2014). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using keratinase obtained from a strain of Bacillus safensis LAU 13. International Nano Letters. Volume 5, Issue 1, 29-35 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40089-014-0133-4.
- K. Whiteman & E. B. Gueguim Kana (2014) Comparative Assessment of the Artificial Neural Network and Response Surface Modelling Efficiencies for Biohydrogen Production on Sugar Cane Molasses. Bioenerg. Res. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12155-013-9375-7 .
- D. Faloye, E.B. Gueguim Kana, Stefan Schmidt (2013) Optimization of hybrid inoculum development techniques for biohydrogen production and preliminary scale up Original. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 38, Issue 27, 11765-11773. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.06.129
- B. Gueguim Kana, Stefan Schmidt, R.H. Azanfack Kenfack (2013) A web-enabled software for real-time biogas fermentation monitoring – Assessment of dark fermentations for correlations between medium conductivity and biohydrogen evolution . International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 38, Issue 25, 10235-10244. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.06.019
- T. Sekoai, E.B. Gueguim Kana (2013) A two-stage modelling and optimization of biohydrogen production from a mixture of agro-municipal waste. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Volume 38, Issue 21, 8657–8663. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.04.130
- PT Sekoai, EB Gueguim Kana (2013) Fermentative Biohydrogen Modelling And Optimization Research In Light Of Miniaturized Parallel Bioreactors . Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment 27 (4), 3901 – 3908 https://dx.doi.org/10.5504/bbeq.2013.0046.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K., Lateef, A., and Adesiyan M. O (2012) “Modeling and optimization of Biogas production on Saw dust and other co-substrates using Artificial Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm. Renewable Energy, Volume 46, 2012, 276-281 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960148112002145?np=y.
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B., and Raimi, O.R., (2012) Production of fructosyltransferase by a local isolate of Aspergillus niger in both submerged and solid substrate media”, Acta Alimentaria, Vol. 41 (1), pp. 100– 117,. https://dx.doi.org/10.1556/AAlim.41.2012.1.12
- Lateef, A., and Gueguim-Kana, E.B. (2012). “Utilization of cassava wastes in the production of fructosyltransferase by Rhizopus stolonifer LAU 07”, Romanian Biotechnological Letters. 17, 7309-7316 https://www.rombio.eu/rbl3vol17/11.pdf
- Kana G, Oloke, J.K., Lateef A. and Aboyeji O. Comparative Evaluation of Artificial Neural Network Coupled Genetic Algorithm and Response Surface Methodology for Modeling and Optimization of Citric Acid Production by Aspergillus Niger MCBN297 Chemical Engineering Transactions, https://www.aidic.it/ibic2012/webpapers/118Kana.pdf 27, 2012, 397-402.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., 2011. “RIIFT: A repository of intelligence of industrial fermentation (RIIF) using web enabled technology 2011”, & Biotechnol. Eq. 2011, 25(1), 2290-2294. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.5504/BBEQ.2011.0006
- Gueguim Kana E.B., J.K. Oloke, A. Lateef, R.H. Azanfack Kenfack and A. Adeyemi (2010) “Implementation details of Computerized Temporary Immersion Bioreactor (TIB) A fermentation Case of Pleurotus pulmonarius”, & Biotechnol. Eq. 2010, 24(4), 2149-2153. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2478/V10133-010-0093-4
- Gueguim Kana, E.B.,Oloke, J.K., Lateef, A. and Donfack kana A. F. (2010) “Pro-optimizer: A novel Web Enabled Optimizer Engine for Microbial Fermentations”, & Biotechnol. Eq. 2010, 24(4), 2137-2141. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2478/V10133-010-0092-5
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B., Sobowale B.O,Ajao S.O, and Bello B.Y..(2010) “Keratinolotyc activities of new feather- degrading isolate of Bacillus cereus LAU 08 isolated from Nigerian soil”, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation .64 (162-165).
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oyeniyi, S.O., Onifade, O.R., Oyeleye, A.O., and Oladosu, O.C. (2008). “Rhizopus stolonifer LAU 07: a novel source of fructosyltransferase”, Chemical Papers 62(6) 635-638.
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oyeniyi, S.O., Onifade, O.R., Oyeleye, A.O., Oladosu, O.C., and Oyelami A.O. (2008). “Improving the quality of Agro-wastes by solid state fermentation: enhanced antioxidant activities and nutritional qualities”, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. DOI: 10.1007/s11274-008-9749-8.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K., and Lateef, A. (2007). “Advanced control of fermentation processes”, Journal of Science Research 7(1): 54-59.
- Gueguim Kana, E., Oloke, J.K., Lateef, A., and Zebaze Kana, M.G. (2007). “Novel optimal temperature profile for acidification process of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus in yogurt fermentation using Artificial Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm”, Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 34 (7): 491-496.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K., and Lateef, A. (2007). “Novel feeding strategies for Saccharomyces
cerevisiae DS2155, using glucose limited exponential fed batch cultures with variable specific growth rates”,African Journal of Biotechnology 6 (9): 1122-1127.
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B., and Adebayo, I. (2004). “Aspects of the isolation and characterization of thermostable -amylase from Alternaria alternate”, Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 10 (1): 75-79.
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., and Gueguim Kana, E.B. (2005). “The Prevalence of bacterial resistance in clinical, food, water and some environmental samples in Southwest Nigeria”, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment (1-3): 59-69..
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B., and Pacheco, E. (2006). “The Microbiology Quality of Ice used to Cool Drinks and Foods in Ogbomoso Metropolis, Southwest, Nigeria”, Internet Journal of Food Safety 8: 39-43.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K., Lateef, A and Zebaze Kana, M.G. (2003). Constructional features of 15-litre homemade bio-reactor for fedbatch fermentations. African Journal of Biotechnology 2(8): 233-236 .
- Gueguim Kana , E.B., Oloke, J.K. and Lateef, A. and Zebaze Kana, M.G.(2003). “The use of Artificial Intelligence in the Monitoring, Control and Optimization of Fermentation Processes”, Science Focus 3: 56-60.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B,. Oloke, J.K. and Lateef, A. (2003). “Construction of rugged 4.5-litre Bioreactor for the fermentation of Actinomycetes”, African Scientist 4(1):1-5.
- Lateef, A, Oloke, J.K., and Gueguim Kana, E. B. (2003). “Production of Oligosaccharides by a partially purified alpha-amylase from Alternaria alternate”, Sciences Focus 4: 36-40.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K., Zebaze Kana, M.G and Lateef, A. (2003). “Computer software for real time control and monitoring of fermentation processes”, Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences 5(4): 415-419.
- Oloke, J.K., Gueguim Kana, E.B. and Okeyinka, R. 1998. “Computer aided approach to locating the conserved region of amino acid sequence”, Biokemistri 8 (2): 77-91.
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K and Lateef, A. (2001). “Overproduction of ammonia by a local isolate of Staphylococcus aureus in a cheaply fabricated medium”, Journal of Nigerian Society for Experimental Biology 1 (4): 297-304.
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K. and Gueguim Kana, E.B. (2003) ‘Overproduction of ammonia by a local isolate of Pseudomonas aeruginosa”, Research Communication in Microbiology (2): 62-67.
- Lateef, A., Oloke, J.K., and Gueguim Kana, E.B. (2004). “Antimicrobial Resistance of Bacterial strains isolated from Orange Juice products”, African Journal of Biotechnology 3 (6): 334-338.
- Vasanthy Muthunarayanan, Gueguim kana Evariste Bosco, Thamaraiselvi Chandran, Tamilselvi Duraisamy, Selvakumar Muniraj, Yeshona Sewsynker-Sukai, Preshanthan Moodley, Zanenhlanhla Gumbi(2018). Biologically Renewable Resources of Energy: Potentials, Progress and Barriers. In: Sivasankar V., Mylsamy P., Omine K. (eds) Microbial Fuel Cell Technology for Bioelectricity. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92904-0_1
- Gueguim Kana, E.B., Oloke, J.K., Lateef, A., and Zebaze Kana, M.G. (2004). The trends in microbial fermentation processes using Artificial Intelligence tools. In: Genetic Resources and Biotechnology, Volume 2. Eds: Thangadurai, D., Pullaiah, T., and Ballati, A Pedro. Pp 132-143. Regency Publications, New Delhi, India.
- Oyegoke, O. O., Osundina, M. A., Oloke, J.K., Fawole, O.O., Liasu, M.O., Ogunkunle, A.T.J., Akintola, A.J., Adewoye, S.A., Lateef, A., Gueguim Kana, E. B., Azeez, M.A., Ajala, O. O., Yekee, T. A., Ayandele, A., Ogundola, A. F., Akinboro, O. (2007). New General Biology for Undergraduates. A textbook Published by the Department of Pure and Applied Biology, LAUTECH, Ogbomoso. Rajah Dynamic Printers, Ilorin, Nigeria. ISBN 37193 94. Pp 307.
- Ogunkunle, A.T.J. Osundina, M. A., Oloke, J.K., Fawole, O.O., Liasu, M.O., Oyegoke, O. O.,, Akintola, A.J., Adewoye, S.A., Lateef, A., Gueguim Kana, E. B., Azeez, M.A., Ajala, O. O., Yekee, T. A., Ayandele, A., Ogundola, A. F., Akinboro, O. (2010). Biology: systematic functional approaches. A textbook Published by the Department of Pure and Applied Biology, LAUTECH, Ogbomoso. Rajah Dynamic Printers, Ilorin, Nigeria. ISBN 978- 978-49156-2-5. Pp 251-268.
Valorization of Agricultural biomass in a biorefinery concept
Expansion of biomass sources: This concern is abated through in-depth studies on the biorefinery potential of varieties of locally available biomass including agricultural residues, food waste, industrial waste, energy crops (grown specifically for biofuel production such as perennial grasses) and microalgae. My Goal: conceptualise the project, design the experiments and monitor the execution.
Biomass pre-treatment and hydrolysis: This is a crucial step to aid the disruption of the lignocellulosic matrix. Although a number of pre-treatment techniques have been reported in literature, this process remains the most expensive within the biomass conversion process. My goal: conceptualise the project, design the experiments and monitor the execution.
Fermentation process development: Although sugar fermentation to biofuel and biochemical have recorded enormous advancement, some limitations still exist in achieving higher yield and an economically viable process. For instance, Saccharomyces cerevisae is presently employed in fermentation for bioethanol production at the commercial scale, nevertheless, the lignocellulosic biomass contains approximately 5-20% of pentose sugar which are not fermented by the yeast resulting into substrate loss and can negatively impact the process economics. My Goal: Conceptualise the project, design the experiments and monitor the execution.
- Application of Artificial Intelligence in bioprocess development: Two parallel research strands are being pursuit: (1) The development of bioprocess models suitable for process optimization using artificial intelligence tools, and (2) The development of an open repository of Intelligent Bioprocess Models (REDIM) https://www.redim.org.za/. It makes bioprocess models available to the global research community. This enhances reproducibility, virtual experimentation, reduces redundancy, and save laboratory resources. My goal: conceptualise and coordinate the project.
- Microalgae for Biofuel production and Wastewater treatment: We are investigating the optimum growth conditions for the production of lipid for biodiesel, carbohydrate biomass and other valuable intermediate products. My goal: conceptualise the project, design the experiments and monitor the execution.
- Bioreactor design: We focus on the miniaturization and parallelization of bioreactor design suitable for biofuel research using low-cost technologies. My Goal: conceptualise the project, design and implement.
Nanobiotechnology: Biosynthesis of nanoparticles and investigate their potential application in biofuel production